Sunday, June 17, 2007

Introduction or Why I Am Writing This Blog

As I am sure most of you have noticed, this blog is about being a female gamer in World of Warcraft, the popular Blizzard MMORPG game.

I am sure the first question you are asking is: Why?

I am a 23 year old graduate student, and I decided to take an undergraduate course over the summer in order to learn the basics of something I hadn't yet scratched the surface of. Thus, I chose Introduction to Women's Studies.

One of our assignments was to create a blog addressing gender issues, whether they be in art, popular culture, discrimination or anything really.

I decided to choose a topic that I am familiar with: being a gamer and a female. In order to make the topic matter a bit more focused, I decided to focus mostly on being a gamer in World of Warcraft. However, the posts about World of Warcraft will be mixed in with my reactions to other things as well.

I've played World of Warcraft for about a year and a half, and I think it is a lot of fun. However, there are still gender issues concerning females in WoW, whether it be in real life or in Azeroth itself (Azeroth is the realm that you explore in World of Warcraft).

My next entry will be a glossary and basic introductory post explaining things that are within World of Warcraft. I will try to explain as much as I can, but a game like WoW is incredibly complex and has many layers, which I am hoping to peel back with this blog!

See you in Azeroth!

~Liz~

No comments: